Pages

Followers

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Baby Sleep Sack

So when I was a kid I would sew little dolls and blankets with a needle and thread. They never looked like something Martha Stewart would make - but I was always proud of them. It wasn't until I was pregnant with my first son that a strong urge to sew something came over me. I made a handmade quilt for him, which was beautiful until it fell apart during it's first wash. Luckily through out the years with lots of trial and error I've taught myself how to sew (well kinda). For cameras I will always be a Canon girl, and for sewing machines my heart will always belong to Brother brand (even though most Joann's only sell Singer stuff!).

With my second son, my skills were a bit more improved. I made him a baby quilt as well and a sleep sack. I saw these things online and thought they were awesome. I'm also not a fan of swaddling, mostly because my oldest son hated it. So I decided to make one of these sleep sacks and I honestly loved using it while in the hospital.

This is my son Alex sleeping in the baby sleep sack I made. I did a drawing of my own pattern (guesstimating the size - and I got lucky). It's made with an flannel fabric on the outside (although next time I will probably just do a cotton fabric) and the inside is the super soft fabric, Minky. I love Minky. It's like Minky was made for babies. I used Velcro as the closure, but I don't like how harsh it feels - so next time I think I will use buttons.





9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where are the directions for making this sleep sack?

Jes said...

I don't have that available right now because I just kinda winged it when I made it. But I plan on creating the pattern and showing how to in a post in the future.

Anonymous said...

I hope you post a pattern. This is so cute! I'm finally going to be a grandma and would love to make one of these. Or, maybe two... one for our house, too.

Unknown said...

Looks good and cozy!!
Hey ladies, come on ... with al little bit of practical thinking everyone can make a lovely baby sleep sack. Just give it a try, show some convidence ... you all can do it !!! Be creative :-) Good luck

Bus Rider said...

Thanks Marijke! Sorry it doesn't look like I'll get around to posting it, but I'll do a sketch of what I used. It's only three pieces sewn together to make the sack. I did a sketch on some brown packing paper first and made it a a little bit bigger than the size I thought it needed to be (to make up for when it's sewn). I'm no sewing expert, but I was pleasantly surprised how well it turned out.

Megan said...

I would love to see a rough sketch for this! I've seen sleep sacks but none with a hood and I love it!!!

Unknown said...

So Sweet , pattern ???

Unknown said...

I love this, do you have pattern?

Unknown said...

I love this, do you have pattern?

Post a Comment

 

www.HeyMomBlog.com ©2012 | Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com | Contact info@heymomblog.com